Shalom.

Midrash is quoted everywhere in Jewish sources, from Bible
commentary to Jewish philosophy. Educators, students and
scholars refer to Midrash often, yet it remains little understood.

Even those familiar with midrashic sources may have difficulty
defining exactly what Midrash is or understanding the connection
between a particular Midrash and the biblical text it discusses.
Readers may also find certain midrashic sources disturbingly
implausible, such as the talmudic description of the angel Gavriel
affixing a tail to Queen Vashti (Megilah 12b). Are such accounts
meant to be taken literally? If not, what are we to make of them?

Learning to Read Midrash provides a systematic approach to
Midrash study, addressing much of the confusion that attends
this vital body of Torah knowledge. Drawing on a wide range of
sources, Learning to Read Midrash defines what Midrash is, and
explains h ow to approach it. Guided readings of midrashim
provide the reader with models for interpreting a wide range of
midrashic texts.

Simi Peters, the author of Learning to Read Midrash, has been
teaching Bible and Midrash in Jerusalem for many years. Her
approach offers readers access to the fascinating world of
midrashic teachings.

Details: Hardcover, 310 pages, ISBN 965-7108-57-8
Suggested retail price: $26.95 (110 NIS in Israel)

Learning to Read Midrash will soon be available around the world in
fine bookstores selling Jewish interest books. We are happy to offer
a 10-20% discount and reduced mailing costs (free mailing to any
address in Israel) on all books ordered from our website. All major
credit cards are welcome.

For further information please visit our secure website at:
www.UrimPublications.com

Sincerely,

Tzvi Mauer
Publisher

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.UrimPublications.com

Urim Publications
9 HaUman Street, 2nd floor, P.O. Box 52287, Jerusalem 91521
tel: 972-2-679-7633, fax: 972-2-679-7634

Lambda Publishers
3709 13th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11218
tel: 718-972-5449, fax: 718-972-6307

* If you would like to join our New Releases email list (sent out
appoximately once a month), simply send an email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] . You may unsubscribe at any time from this list.

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      Hasafran at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to:   Listproc at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu