I agree with Henry.  I know that Amazon and the other chains offer a
convenience, and, for some folks in isolated areas, this is their only
access to books. But, a lot of independent book stores now have websites,
and are knocking themselves out trying to be customer friendly.

Clearly, as librarians not spending our own money, but that of our
institutions, we have to be fiscally responsible, and that is why a lot of
us buy from Ingram and other vendors, which save us more than a few pennies.
These vendors also offer cataloguing services, which are very helpful for a
lot of us.  But,I'm guessing that most of us work for places that would not
want the local or regional Jewish book store to disappear. One compromise
measure that a colleague of mine does, is to buy copy 1 of a popular title
through a big vendor, and, if needed, copies 2 & 3 from the Jewish book
store.

Let's not let the Jewish book stores go the way of the many women's book
stores that have been knocked out by the chains.  The clerk or webmaster of
Amazon cannot recommend a local klezmer band for a simcha, sponsor a
book-signing of a book by a small, local press, or simply take the time to
find just that right book for you or your child.

Ann Abrams, Librarian
Temple Israel
477 Longwood Ave.
Boston, MA 02215
617-566-3960
www.tisrael.org

HaSafran - The Electronic Forum of the Association of Jewish Libraries

Submissions for HaSafran, send to: Hasafran at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to: Listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to: galron.1 at osu.edu
AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org/