I also did a quick search in our catalog from 1835-1870.  I found 17
separate printings of the Haggadah, all in New York, and almost all by the
Frank Press (as below), some with German, and some with English
translations.  This did not surprise me.  One of the things I learned as a
result of living first in North Carolina for five years, and then in
Georgia for almost seven years, is that there wasn't much printing in the
South before the end of the Civil War.  A significant exception was
Lutheran printing in Virginia.  In North Carolina, printing for religious
purposes (song sheets, etc.) existed among the Moravians in North Carolina
in the 1790

's, and there was a limited amount of printing in North Carolina for state
government purposes in the 19th century.  The major sources of books for
the South pre-1865 were Boston, New York, and Philadelphia.

Dan Rettberg
Rare Book and Manuscript Bibliographer
Klau Library
Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
Cincinnati, Ohio

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

HaSafran - The Electronic Forum of the Association of Jewish Libraries

Submissions for HaSafran, send to: Hasafran at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to: Listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to: galron.1 at osu.edu
AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org/