--- Andrea Rapp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > Some battles are not worth going to the barricades
 > for. Now signators to the petition have succeeded in
 > giving a windfall of publicity to the antisemitic
 > website.
 > Andrea

Ironically, many of the websites (including the
"Remove Jew Watch" petition site which are trying to
push down the ranking for "Jew Watch" are probably
having the reverse effect. You see, Google will count
the number of links to a website, as well as the
number of times a particular phrase (in or near the
hyperlink phrase) is used at the website that it's
"spidering".

So, for example, if 100 websites added the following

Google has ranked the anti-semitic website Jew Watch
<http://www.jewwatch.com> #1 when searching with just
the word JEW. We should all sign a petition asking
Google to do something about it.

to their websites, Google would calculate that 100
more websites are associating "Jew" with the website
http://www.jewwatch.com.

****

Aside from that, not only do I agree with Andrea that
we must carefully choose our battles, we also have to
consider what a Google ranking really means.

By making Jew Watch the #1 ranking for "Jew", Google
is saying that Jew Watch is the most popular website
that has the term "Jew" in it. However Google
calculates "popularity", it is a fact that Jew Watch
is the nost popular "Jew" site at the moment.

Think of Google as a "reference librarian" for the
Internet, whose sole reference tool is the Internet.
If asked the question, "What is the most popular /
most referenced / most linked website on the Internet
that contains the word "Jew" in it, the answer would
be (at the moment) Jew Watch. Not the AJL, not the
JDL, not the American Jewish Historical Society.

A reference librarian might not like the answer s/he
is providing, but won't change the answer just to make
him/herself or the patron feel better. We don't change
answers. We teach critical evaluation of research and
also how to effectively search for all of the facts,
using a variety of resources.

I don't know much about alghorithms, but I don't think
it would be so easy to alter the algorithm just to
change the ranking for one site. To use a crude
analogy, suppose a Christian fundamentalist started a
lobbying campaign to reprogram new calculators so
that, e.g. the calculation "665+1" no longer equals
666 and "70-1" no longer equals 69. Though technically
it is possible to program a calculator that way, noone
would ever trust a calculator that gives the result
"68" for 70-1. I imagine the Google programmers are
similarly puzzled as to how to reprogram the Google
site's computers so that it excludes "Jew Watch"
without compromising the integrity of the algorithms
and without making Google lose its reputation.

I don't even know if Google can remove the website
from its database. I do know that they have a filter
for filtering out "adult sites", but I'm not sure if
they can filter other types of sites.

All I know is Google's algorithms can be manipulated
if there is enough of a group effort. This is its
strength and may ultimately be its downfall, as well.

B'shalom,

Steve