With regard to donations of books, I was involved with Poshi Mikalson after
the library  at Bnai Israel in Sacramento was destroyed in 1999.  The
synagogue was deluged with goodwill by Safranim and others, literally
around the world.  They received approsimately 22,000 volumes of all types
and styles and in a range of conditions.  The outpouring was wonderful, but
the job of processing was very complex and time-consuming.

In fairness to both the AJL and the synagogue in Montreal, I think we need
to examine this question carefully. Support is definitely needed, but all
of us know that different institutions need different things and in unique
ways.

Fred.