There has much discussion concerning the firebombing in Montreal. From all
indications it was a hate crime. It is very admirable that AJL is trying to
find ways to help the victims restore the library itself. Is this
organization missing the bigger picture? If in fact a library and place of
Jewish learning is the target of hate with possible linkage to the current
Middle East situation, shouldn't AJL make a statement about the incident.

There is an increased environment of Anti-Semitism and Anti-Israel sentiment
in recent times. Just today Bin-Laden issued a tape message that links 9/11
with United States support of Israel.
Even the message that was left at the bombing scene related to the Middle
East. Unfortunately, what happened in Montreal could happen in any one of
our libraries. Do we have to wait for that to happen. Silence is the
greatest tool of the hate peddler and terrorist. We are a national
organization of Jewish librarians and one of our own was attacked. We need
to make a statement of condemnation of this brutal act. The Rabbis tell us
that silence is equivalent to admission. When the nation was attacked on
9/11 there was fear, sadness, and resolve. We as an organization should does
at least that much.

Eliezer M. Wise
Library Director
Tuttleman Library of Gratz College