There was an interesting article in the Jewish Exponent, April 8, 2004 by
Lori Lowenthal Marcus. Ms. Marcus is the President of the local chapter of
the ZOA. Her article made the point about ho Jews themselves give
impressions to the non-Jewish world if something is anti-Semitic or not.
This create real confusion and often very offensive materials find their way
with no protest.

Ms Marcus made mention of an exhibit at the Free Library of Philadelphia
that presented editorial cartoons attacking the Patriot Act. She indicated
that the exhibit was promoted as "US Patriot Art." Most cartoons depicted
President Bush. In one cartoon " a grinning Prime Minister Ariel Sharon says
to President Bush : You don't know how much we rejoice when we fire a
missile on Palestine and Children Die." Sharon is the only foreign leader
portrayed in the exhibit. This fact was brought to the attention of a Jewish
member of the library board. He admitted that it was offensive but added
that Jews shouldn't waste their time on minor offenses. A generation ago if
there was a depiction in the Arab press that was vicious there would be much
protest. Today none at all. I wrote a letter to the Jewish Exponent which
was published April 22 where I indicated that it is interesting that should
an anti-Israel exhibit should be in the public library. I think I smell a
rat and it sound like ALA. I indicated in my letter ALA's extreme position
on Israel as well as the SRRT's Alternative Resources on the
Israeli-Palestinian Conflict and the resolution on the destruction of
Palestinian Libraries. It is imperative that people in our profession and
especially those in a Jewish library association be aware of these subtle
anti-Israel pieces and raise voices in protest. If we don't it is a tacit
signal to the hate mongers to accelerate their hate peddling to a highly
uninformed American public.

The rabbi teach us that silence is tantamount to admission

Eliezer M. Wise
Library Director
Tuttleman Library of Gratz College
7605 Old York Road