Hello,  Janet.

My guess is that the premise of your study, as stated, will not bear any
accurate results.  While I understand the assumptions/observations that
you have made and wish to pursue, the term "Orthodox Jew" no longer has
any well defined meaning.

Anybody can call themselves an "Orthodox Jew" with a straight face - and
you'll be hard pressed to convince them otherwise.  A limited number of
people, however, will call themselves a "Torah Jew".  So, perhaps this
group might be a more definitive focus group for your study.

Without elaborating on this further, then, may I propose an alternative
thesis statement for your study (based on my limited knowledge, anyway)?

How about:   "Why are there no Public Libraries in Me'ah Shearim?"

In the interim, here are some ideas for your consideration

1)  The "Public Library" of the Torah Jew is called a "Beis Midrash".
There are differences between the two venues, especially in their
purposes.  Women are not excluded from Torah study as many claim.  Their
venues and purposes are simply different.  A reputable seminary will
provide more details.

2) Since the Torah is all encompasing, there is no real reason for a a
Torah Jew to pursue knowledge outside of a Beis Medrash. While it is a
valid issue, the lack of tznius in today's public libraries, is really
besides-the-point and almost apologetic.  Unfortunately, many
certifcation granting organizations do not readily accept Talmudic
thought or sources.  So, a visit to a Public Library for case material
might be necessary.  The Internet is the ultimate Public Library of
today.

3) Consider researching what Torah Judaism has to say about the
Septuagint.  On the fast of the 17th of Tammuz, we mourn the translation
of the Jewish Scriptures into Greek.  I think this would bring out some
interesting commentary for your study.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck,

Cheers,