Collection development in any public library branch reflects the patrons who
use it. This is an old professional axiom. I once went to a library in a
blue collar neighborhood and found a complete set of Chilton's auto repair
manuals in the reference section. Therefore if a neighborhood is heavily
Orthodox, the holdings may reflect that but will not make the collection
exclusively reflect that. A friend from Long Island told me that he
requested the branch to purchase Meam Loez and they did. I echo the thought
that the Orthodox patron has as much say as the Cambodian, Vietnamese, or
any other ethnic group.

I agree with Avi Shoub that defining Orthodox is not clear. Orthodox Judaism
is only monolithic in terms of adherence to halacha. The problem in
definition develops in the level and knowledge of halacha and its
stringencies. I would also like to point out that there is a segment of the
Haredi community in the United States that does not allow their children to
go to the Public Library. They perceive "dangers" of the both the print
materials as well as the INTERNET. It should also be pointed out that once
again even among the Haredim the approach is not monolithic.
In sum, making a relationship between the public library and the Orthodox
reader will not be useful.

I might suggest that you address the topic of information literacy of
Rabbinic primary sources. There has been literally and explosion of rabbinic
primary and secondary sources translated into English. Many people do not
know how to locate materials because they are unfamiliar with the
organization, relationship and hierarchical structure of these materials.
Things such as citation, cross referencing, etc. limit the fullest use of
these translated materials. I gave a CEU at the 2002 AJL convention on the
use of rabbinic materials. Many librarians in Day Schools found it very
useful in helping the students find materials and citations they needed for
their work.

Your research can be redirected to information literacy of rabbinics and
related secondary source material. I would bet that there are many Orthodox
people who in spite of their observances are unfamiliar with the sources and
how they work. I once had an experience where a patron had a Talmudic quote
and wanted to find the original in translation. It turned out the person who
allegedly quoted the text restructured to quote to fit the point they were
making.
Reference work and the Orthodox Jew is virtually an untapped area. If you
want further discussion please feel free to contact me.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Eliezer M. Wise
Library Director
Tuttleman Library of Gratz College