As Linda Silver said   "  If public libraries are responsive to the
interests of their users and
potential users, then those located where there are significant numbers of
Orthodox Jews will provide materials ..."

The Toronto Public Library (TPL) is sensitive, and responsive to the needs
and interests of all members of Toronto's multi-ethnic population.

The Toronto Public Library purchases materials responsive to the wide
ranging interests and needs of all members of the Jewish community, not
just one segment of it.  Fiction and Nonfiction are bought,  theme displays
on holidays, and Jewish issues  are mounted, programs on Jewish issues and
programs as part of Holocaust Education Week,  are regularly held in
appropriate branch locations.  Hebrew and Yiddish materials for both adults
and children are selected by a system selector with the language
skill.  Hebrew and Yiddish videos, cassettes, music and language learning
materials are bought.  Hebrew and Yiddish newspapers and magazines are also
purchased, including English language periodicals concerning Jewish issues
ranging from the community level to national and international scope.  In
branches with large Jewish communities, the timing of programming is
decided with an awareness not only of the secular calendar, but also of
Jewish holidays.  The Barbara Frum branch, which has been mentioned  in
other emails, is also open on Sunday afternoon.  This schedule was not
decided specifically because of the needs of the Jewish community,  but it
certainly enables  easier access to the branch for Shomer Shabbos
families.  We provide  curriculum support to children in  the day school
system.
Orthodox families do use our branches.  In response to the person who
commented that  not all Orthodox Jews are recognizable as such, many of our
Orthodox users are.  The boys generally have paeis (please excuse my
spelling) and wear tzitzit and kippahs.  The girls are usually dressed in
long skirts and long sleeves. There will always be Orthodox children  who
are not allowed to use the public library, for reasons that others have
already mentioned, and adults who are non-users.  However, our experience
is that when they do use the library  the children take large amounts of
fiction, and adults use a wide range of materials.

TPL  was responsive during the recent anti semitic  incidents in both
Toronto and Montreal.  We mounted a bibliography of books on Anti Semitism
on the library website and  TPL donated $1,000 to the Montreal Talmud
Torah  to help them rebuild their collection. TPL is also an institutional
member of AJL, and supportive of  staff activities with AJL, as well as
having hosted a reception at last year's AJL convention in Toronto.

Gloria Jacobs
Branch Head, Forest Hill Branch
Toronto Public Library

The views and opinions  expressed are solely my own.