Not be labor Charyl's point, I would merely point out that that when I was
AJL president (more than 20 years ago) I suggested that conventions be kept
to one of two cities and that a national convention committee be incharge
of programming, rather than have everything fall on the local chapters.

My suggestion was rejected. In those days people liked travelling around,
etc. (But in those days, people did not mind killing hours riding in school
buses (AKA "cheese boxes") to hold sessions at local synagogues. In those
day there were still women who wore long gowns to the banquet!

Times have changed, the Association has changed.