Friends, as you can probably tell by now, the AJL Council, all of whom are
volunteers (there are no paid staff members of AJL) has long been, and
continues to be, very concerned with all the issues involved in putting on
our annual convention. One of the convention issues we discussed at the
last Council meeting led me to investigate how the Assoc of Jewish Studies
handles some aspects of its convention. One of the interesting things I
discovered by corresponding with their salaried administrator is that they
separate conference fees and meal fees. They do go to bigger cities and
hotels where they can offer kosher meals for those attendees who observe
dietary law or want to join others at meals. However, since not all of
their attendees wish to partake in any or all of the meals, and because
kosher hotel meals are very expensive, therefore they make the fees
separate. They try to make the main banquet less expensive so more people
will attend. In contrast, AJL philosophy emphasizes the informal networking
and bonding that takes place over shared meals and our convention
registration fee traditionally covers little more than the actual cost of
the meals. This is another area we may want to review, but again we need to
keep in mind that this issue, along with the others we've been discussing,
have been carefully and thoughtfully considered by volunteer AJL officers
and council members for many years.

Debbie Stern