----------------------- Message requiring your approval ----------------------
From: "Donald Weinshank" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [ha-Safran]: Starting up a reference collection

Roberta Schoen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote

One of the first questions that came up was how to keep the books from
being borrowed and never returned. No one is going to sit there making sure
people either don't take the books or sign them out. While we're not going
to lock the books up, we would like a way to make it obvious that they are
Chabad's in case someone absentmindedly just puts it on their own bookshelf
at home.

=====================================

How about a stamp on the flyleaf that says,

[]

Property of the _____________ Library.

=====================================

I would like to think that this would carry more weight in a Chabad Library than, perhaps, elsewhere.

By the way, I was told many years ago that all libraries put a stamp on some internal page between 1-100. I do that in all of my own books.

Insofar as the issue of marking the spine, I have no idea what real librarians (I am not one) in this group would think, but I put a square of yellow "Duck Tape" (with the initial W) on all books that I carry out of the house. Having looked at various label suppliers such as Avery, it might be worth looking into having a small but unique permanent label made to specifications. If you print your own labels, be sure to use a Xerox printer rather than a laser jet one since the latter uses water soluble ink.

This is my $0.02. I hope that the experts in this group can make more significant contributions to solving your problem.

djw

Dr. Don Weinshank Professor Emeritus Comp. Sci. & Eng.
1520 Sherwood Ave., East Lansing MI 48823-1885
Ph. 517.337.1545   FAX 517.337.1665
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~weinshan

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      Hasafran @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to:   Listproc @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu