I agree with Bernard. One of the reasons I value my AJL membership in
general, and this list in particular, is that both facilitate the
discussion of bibliographical and narrowly professional concerns, without
too much overflow into discussions of politics of whatever sort. One of the
results of this, I think, is that AJL, while a much more diverse
organization than might appear on the surface, is an exceptionally friendly
and respectful organization, and the participants in the discussions on
this listserv, to my mind, display these virtues to a fault. The occasional
"overflow" on this listserv is just that, occasional, and I usually deal
with it by using my delete button. I would not like to see us become a
clearing house for endorsements and discussions of candidates running for
any sort of office in any organization, ours included. If any member of any
other organization wants to know to what other professional organizations a
given candidate may belong, that member should petition the organization in
question to include such information on the announcement describing the
candidates background and qualifications. I do not think it a reasonable
expection that candidates running for office in one organization should be
"vetted" on the listserv of another.

Dan Rettberg
Rare Book and Manuscript Bibliographer
Klau Library
Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
Cincinnati, Ohio

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      Hasafran @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to:   Listproc @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu