> Attached is a press release recently issued by the Association for
Jewish Studies and
 > American Academy for Jewish Research in response to the recent decision
by the British Association of University Teachers to boycott two Israeli
universities. The press release was sent to The New York Times, The
Chronicle of Higher Education, The Forward, The Jewish Week, The Canadian
Jewish News, The Globe and Mail, the National Post, the Jewish Telegraphic
Agency, the American Association of University Professors, the American
Council of Learned Societies, the American Historical Association, the
Modern Language Association, the Canadian Association of University
Teachers, and the York University Faculty Association.

 > The American Academy of Jewish Research, the oldest body of North
American scholars of Jewish studies, and the Association for Jewish
Studies, the learned society of academic Jewish studies, condemn the
British Association of University Teachers> '>  decision to boycott two
Israeli universities for their alleged complicity in governmental policies
and their purported discrimination against a faculty member on political
grounds.  The boycott is an egregious assault on academic freedom and a
woeful misreading of the role of Israeli academics and the Israeli
university. Academics have an obligation to support the free exchange of
ideas and to participate in international dialogue, not to shun and
restrain them.  Israeli universities are an important source of the robust
discussion and critical evaluation of governmental policy that characterize
Israeli society. It is indeed, ironic, and offensive, that in a world where
many governments muzzle their faculties, and academic freedom is rare, the
AUT should focus solely on Israeli universities, which have maintained
academic freedom and diverse student and faculty communities under
difficult circumstances..  It is also distressing that in a world where,
sadly, war and the killing of civilians are far too common only one country
is singled out for ostracism.

 > The AUT has been ill-served by leaders who pushed through the motion
without proper investigation of the > "> facts> ">  on which the decision
was purportedly based, and without open debate within the Association
itself.   Academics should govern ourselves according to the standards of
fairness and free discussion we expect from the larger society.

 > We stand in solidarity with our fellow Israeli academics.  We also
welcome the criticism of the AUT decision by many British university
administrators and by the Times of London as well as the planned
reconsideration of the boycott by the AUT.  We are confident that the AUT>
'> s declaration of a boycott will be understood internationally to reflect
less upon the reality of Israeli universities than upon the politicization
of certain leaders of the British academic community.  We call on academics
throughout the world to refrain from participating in international
conferences from which Israeli scholars have been banned.

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      Hasafran @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to:   Listproc @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to:  galron.1 @ osu.edu
AJL HomePage                  http://www.JewishLibraries.org