Aloha, safranim ve-safraniyot,

I thought I'd jump into this discussion as I am investigating the
possibility of hosting the 2007 convention here in Honolulu. (Yes, there is
kosher food in Hawaii, you just have to know where to look for it.)

For a long time I have thought that too much of a burden is placed on the
local organizers, who, as Liza points out, usually have to learn "on the
job" how to pull a conference together. Sure, it makes sense for the local
folks to take care of the hotel and catering arrangements and the tours and
whatnot, but there's no reason why many--if not most--of the other
responsibilities could not be spread more widely. I'm thinking here of
soliciting presenters (and then soliciting their bios, abstracts, A/V
needs, waivers, etc.), soliciting exhibitors, soliciting advertisers,
registering attendees, and a lot of other tasks. I know I'm going to need
some assistance to pull off a Honolulu convention and already some AJLers
have volunteered to come out here to help.

And lest you fear that Honolulu is too expensive a venue, consider that the
cost of a room here will likely be less than half the price of your hotel
room in Boston.

--Nancy

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      Hasafran @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to:   Listproc @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu