Hayim, Ted, Bernard, et al.,

I'm perhaps the wrong person to be addressing your concerns, as I was
unable to attend the recent meeting at which the revisions to the AJL
constitution were discussed. But as no other response has yet
appeared on the list, I'll clarify as much as I'm able to.

PDF files of the current constitution and the proposed draft
constitution (with highlights of the changes) as well as a summary
and a detailed description of the proposed changes can all be
accessed on the AJL web at
http://www.jewishlibraries.org/ajlweb/about/constitution.htm.

The AJL executive board is composed of the elected officers of the
two divisions (each with a president, vice-president and secretary)
and of the association as a whole (president,
vice-president/president-elect, immediate past-president,
vice-president for membership, vice-president for publications,
recording secretary, corresponding secretary, and treasurer).

The Webmaster, the various editors, the listowner of Hasafran,
chapter representatives, et al. serve with the board on the
association's council. (All this is described in the current
constitution and is clarified, but not changed, in the revised draft.)

With one exception, the changes in the proposed draft constitution
are not substantive, but merely clarify and formalize existing
practices. The exception is the addition of a provision for
electronic balloting. Electronic balloting was discussed last June at
the members' meeting,
but's possible that more discussion of this topic is needed before an
informed decision can be made.

I hope that helps.

Nancy Sack
(Webmaster and, therefore, council member)

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      Hasafran @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to:   Listproc @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to:  galron.1 @ osu.edu
AJL HomePage                  http://www.JewishLibraries.org