Here is an analogy which might help us better understand and
interpret the Patricia Polacco imbroglio.  Several years ago AJL
invited a scholar to speak at the annual conference.  This gentleman,
who I might add is a fine scholar and a good man, happens to be a
Christian who was born a Jew.  His talk was well attended and he gave
a charming and erudite presentation.  But suppose (theoretically
speaking) that a month or two before the conference, someone found
out that he had plans to make well-meaning but inappropriate
(bordering on proselytizing) comments about his personal decision to
convert during his presentation.  After trying to gain assurances
(without success) from the speaker that this would not occur, the
conference committee might well make the decision to cancel his
talk.  I don't think any of us would call this censorship.

While I have great admiration for Patricia Polacco as a writer and as
a person, and while I might disagree with the decision to cancel her
talk, I don't think it can rightly be called censorship.  Was the
decision wrong?  Perhaps.  Was the decision heavy
handed?  Probably.  Was it censorship?  No.

Mark Stover

Mark Stover
Head of Reference Services
San Diego State University Library