> I believe that Benjamin of Tudela was a real person.

At least the people of the town of Tudela which I have visited rather
often think he was. It was the first book published by Riopiedras Ediciones
(Barcelona). Even figures in one of the UAHC filmstrips. one. It
reads like a Michelin Tour Guide so there's not much dialog.

 >From what I gathered from reading it, Ben Tudela was a travelling
salesman who dealt in semi-precious stones. I don't know how
accesible you can make
sales pitches to kids but since salesmen are salesmen no matter what
where or when their doing the selling, Uri Shulevitz probably didn't
have too much
trouble with the dialog part.

I've given a lot of tours to jewish travelling furniture, textiles
and industrial hinge (all sizes from jewelry boxes to container
ships) salesmen who
come to the big trade show facilities that Valencia offers the
discriminating vendor and they all talk exactly the same way.
Shulevitz would just have
to put a little medieval twist to it and there you go.

Besos de Valencia (Spain)
Alba Toscano
Sinagoga conservador/masorti "La Javura"
http://www.uscj.org/world/valencia

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      Hasafran @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to:   Listproc @ lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to:  galron.1 @ osu.edu