Greetings all:

I represent a small Judaica Library, about 3000 volumes, located in
the Jewish Community Center in Stamford, CT. It is a part of the
Jewish Historical Society of Lower Fairfield County.  We are open
about 30 hours a week.  Several matters have come up recently and I
am seeking input regarding them from other librarians.

l.  Periodicals
     We currently subscribe to THE FORWARD, English and Russian
editions;  THE JEWISH WEEK;  THE JERUSALEM POST;
     AVOTAYNU and THE AJL NEWSLETTER (with our membership in THE
ASSOCIATION OF JEWISH LIBRARIES).
     We are considering adding more periodicals and would like to
know what other libraries our size have in  their collections.

2.  Open/Closed Shelving
     The library's holding include a Holocaust Collection of about
200 books, including 35 Yizkor volumes.  There is a question
     of adding glass doors, with a lock and key, to the book case
housing these books, to make them secure.When the Library
is        open, a volunteer is there.  The Library is located in a
separate room in the JCC where people coming and going pass by
all        day.  It is also used occasionally for a JCC program, when
there is no Library volunteer "on duty".  When not open, the
Library     door is locked. What is the experience of librarians
working in libraries where the shelves are closed, open?

All opinions, comments and thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Barbara Rosett
For the Library Committee