www.geocities.com/d_elazar (home page)

From: Diana Muir  [ mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am interested in the history and use of the phrase "a land without a
people for a people without a land" (also phrased 'a country without a
people for a people without a country') In particular,~I am seeking any use
at all~of the phrase pre-dating 1971 by anyone except Zangwill) After 1971,
the phrase comes into extremely wide use, cited as a widely-propagated
Zionist slogan, but never with any documentation of actual propagation by
Zionists. (an imaginative~range of inaccurate attributions does exist)

My attempts to find the slogan actually in use by Zionists have come up
empty - except for its use by Israel Zangwill and a tiny number of uses~by
other Zionists all predating Zangwill's~split with Zionism to form the
territorialists.

There has already been one paper by~Adam Garfinkle establishing that the
phrase was used by two~unconnected restorationists.[1][Marker]~ A~similar
effort by Moshe Davis documents use of the phrase by a third restorationist.
[1][Marker]

If anyone can point me toward any uses of this phrase by anyone dating to
any period before 1971, I will be very grateful.

Diana Muir
reply to [ mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[1][Marker] Garfinkle, Adam M., “On the Origin, Meaning, Use and Abuse of
a Phrase.” Middle Eastern Studies, London, Oct. 1991, vol. 27, n. 4, p.
539.   http://members.dca.net/sotireew/garfinkle.html

[1][Marker] Davis, Moshe, America and the Holy Land, Vol. 4 in the series,
With Eyes Toward Sion, 1995, Praeger, Westport, CT.~ pp.64-66.