AJL and Hasafran members:

The Index to Jewish Periodicals has been published in paper since
1963; we have published a CD-ROM version which includes citations
back to 1988, and last year we began to provide access to the Index
via Ebsco.
As of mid-2006, Ebsco began updating the Index online twice a year,
allowing for the retrieval of more recent citations and articles.
Throughout its history, the Index to Jewish Periodicals has provided
access to periodical articles from *English language* magazines and
journals.  Occasionally, if an English-language journal published an
article in German (or infrequently, French or Spanish),  we would
include it, but that was by far the exception.

Given recent world events, and the level of scholarly (and for that
matter, popular) serial publications *not* published in English, we
have been considering expanding the Index's coverage to include not
just our 200+ English titles, but also selected titles in French and
other western languages.  These would be additions, not replacements,
to titles we currently index.  At this point, we would not anticipate
any change in subscription price as a result of these additions.  We
would continue to assign *English language subject headings*
regardless of the language of publication, although we would note the
articles language in a note.

Note that we do not anticipate more than 4-5 titles per language
other than English -- the overwhelming number of titles in the IJP
will always be in English.

Our question to you: our primary group of subscribers:
Would you find value in having the Index to Jewish Periodicals index
non-English titles?

If so, are there particular titles that you would suggest?

Thank you for your advice.  Please reply to me:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
or to the Index at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you for your assistance.

Ted Koppel
Index to Jewish Periodicals