This morning I shared a remarkable experience with Yaron Kapitulnik,
a second year rabbinic student. While perusing a book published in
2004 and written in English and Polish about Lopuszno, a Polish
shtetl destroyed during the Holocaust, I happened upon some
photographs of people named Kapitulnik and could not help but wonder
if these persons were related to Yaron.

I went to my computer to send Yaron an e-mail, asking him to come to
my office, but before I could even sit down, he magically appeared at
my door with a reference question totally unrelated to anything we
had ever previously talked about.

As I passed him the book, he literally collapsed in a chair, for he
recognized photos of his grandfather as a young man, as well as
great-grandparents and his grandfather's siblings, none of whose
faces Yaron had ever seen before.

(His grandfather, having left Poland in March of 1939, was the only
member of the family to survive the Holocaust.) Especially poignant
was a photo of his grandfather and a sister reciting Kaddish at their
mother's grave on the eve of his departure.)

I recalled the book had been donated by an Israeli businessman who
had funded the book's publication, and I was glad to pass along his
contact information in Tel-Aviv to Yaron.

Yaron was eager to call Jerusalem and tell his father of this
remarkable and entirely serendipitous discovery.

That's the story so far …

Moments such as this truly make the work of a librarian most rewarding!