From: Windmueller, Steven
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:07 AM
To: LA Staff - All (no students); LA Students - Fall 2007
Subject: Southern California wildfire

Some of you have inquired about how the Jewish community in Southern
California is responding to the wildfires. In conversations with our
local Jewish Federation and our Jewish Family Service as well as the
JCPA (Jewish Council for Public Affairs), I have learned the following:

Primary volunteer and service work is being handled by the American Red
Cross, although our JFS agency is currently providing social workers to
deal with the issues of emotional stress and trauma among victims. Other
resources will be required at a later point. There will no doubt be some
special emergency campaigns established to assist those made homeless by
the fires.

The situation is particularly serious in North San Diego County where
volunteers and resources are particularly important at this time. I am
enclosing below a report prepared yesterday and provided to us by the
JCRC Director of the San Diego Jewish Federation that will give you some
greater insights into the dimensions of this difficult situation.

Hi, everyone.

In a nutshell, a short time ago the sheriff's department reported
346,000 homes evacuated and they expect that number to increase before
the Santa Ana winds subside later in the week.

Virtually every synagogue and agency is affected.  In fact, I would dare
to say that everyone in this city knows someone who was evacuated or
were themselves directly impacted.  From my house I could see the fire
line about 20 miles in the distance (I was evacuated in the 2003 fires).
I sent my kids to a friend's for the day because I didn't want them home
by themselves (they're 14 and 16) watching the fire in the distance or
on the news, scaring themselves crazy.

Some synagogues were evacuated.  Our community's Jewish nursing home
evacuated all of the residents at their assisted living facility; most
of the residents of their SNF in a different part of the County were
also evacuated.  As of right now I have not heard reports of any Jewish
institutions sustaining serious damage (other than smoke).

All schools in San Diego County - public and private, elementary through
college - are closed today.  The Wild Animal Park and Sea World are also
closed.  Many businesses are closed.  Most major freeways are open for
passage except when the fire is too close for safety.  The roads need to
be kept as open as possible for evacuation purposes.  They're asking
people to minimize cell phone usage.  Our power went down for a few
minutes yesterday (a word from G-d, perhaps?).  Power has gone down to
thousands of customers throughout the area.

Qualcomm (The San Diego Chargers stadium) has become a major staging
ground and shelter.

Today's temperature will be HOT (about 95 near my house) with very low
humidity and high winds (that's part of the Santa Ana weather
condition).

If people want to do something please direct them to the United Jewish
Federation Website at www.jewishinsandiego.org.  Unfortunately we've had
experience with this before.  We're taking donations which will be used
for short term cash relief for those in need.  We're working very
closely with the Jewish Community Foundation and Jewish Family Service
(they'll provide the direct services).  We're keeping track of our
rabbis and other agencies.  Everyone has been terrific.
.

--Tina

Tina Friedman
Director, Community Relations
United Jewish Federation of San Diego County 4950 Murphy Canyon Road San
Diego CA 92123 telephone 858-571-3444 fax 858-571-0701 e-mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Visit our Website at www.jewishinsandiego.org