From: Temple Beth Am [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:30 PM
Subject: Federation Establishes Emergency Fire Relief Fund

Emergency Fire Relief
Dear Friends:

With wildfires raging throughout Southern California, we join
together as a community to express our sympathy for the victims,
including the families of those who have lost their lives, those
whose homes and businesses have been destroyed or damaged; all whose
lives have been shattered by the tragic events of this week. We are
grateful for the firefighters who are working tirelessly, putting
their own lives at risk.

After being in touch with individuals and organizations in the
affected areas, The Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles has
established a special Fire Emergency Relief Fund. Although the extent
of the needs is not yet clear, we are working with our own local
Federation beneficiary agencies and the Federations and congregations
of Orange County and the San Diego area to prioritize requests for
assistance. We are immediately advancing $50,000 to the relief fund
in order to help respond to emergency requests.

Make an Emergency Donation
Monetary donations are needed and welcome. To donate to the Fire
Emergency Relief Fund call (323) 761-8200 or send a check to The
Jewish Federation, 6505 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles CA 90048, made
payable to The Jewish Federation with the words "Fire Relief Fund" in
the memo line. You can also make an emergency donation online by
clicking here.

Impact on Jewish Communities
Rabbi Mark Diamond of the Federation's Board of Rabbis has been
speaking with rabbis of congregations in the affected areas and
working closely with colleagues at Jewish Federations of San Diego
and Orange County; the directors of the regional offices of the
Conservative, Orthodox, Reconstructionist and Reform movements;
Jewish Family Service and other agencies to coordinate our response
to this disaster.

To date, we are not aware of any synagogues or other Jewish
institutions that have been severely damaged or destroyed in the
fires. Congregations in and around Malibu, San Bernardino and San
Diego report many member families that have been evacuated from their
homes. We know that some families have lost their homes or sustained
severe property damage. We have been in touch with rabbis and staff
of many congregations.

Update from United Jewish Federation of San Diego County
In a nutshell, a short time ago the sheriff's department reported
346,000 homes evacuated and they expect that number to increase
before the Santa Ana winds subside later in the week.

Virtually every synagogue and agency is affected. In fact, I would
dare to say that everyone in this city knows someone who was
evacuated or were themselves directly impacted. From my house I could
see the fire line about 20 miles in the distance (I was evacuated in
the 2003 fires). I sent my kids to a friend's for the day because I
didn't want them home by themselves (they're 14 and 16) watching the
fire in the distance or on the news, scaring themselves crazy.

Some synagogues were evacuated. Our community's Jewish nursing home
evacuated all of the residents at their assisted living facility;
most of the residents of their SNF in a different part of the County
were also evacuated. As of right now I have not heard reports of any
Jewish institutions sustaining serious damage (other than smoke).

All schools in San Diego County - public and private, elementary
through college - are closed today. The Wild Animal Park and Sea
World are also closed. Many businesses are closed. Most major
freeways are open for passage except when the fire is too close for
safety. The roads need to be kept as open as possible for evacuation
purposes. They're asking people to minimize cell phone usage. Our
power went down for a few minutes yesterday (a word from G-d,
perhaps?). Power has gone down to thousands of customers throughout the area.

Qualcomm has become a major staging ground and shelter. It's been
reported that 40 San Diego Chargers players and staff have been
evacuated. The team is temporarily relocated to Arizona.

Today's temperature will be HOT (about 95 near my house) with very
low humidity and high winds (that's part of the Santa Ana weather condition).

I'll keep you posted.

Tina Friedman
Director, Community Relations
United Jewish Federation of San Diego County