I'm not talking about AJL setting up an endowment fund.  I'm
suggesting that AJL set up a committee that will brainstorm the idea,
get Federations and grant contacts involved, raise the consciousness
that institutional Judaic libraries are important to Jewish life and
they need special funding. Just as AJL has an active mentoring
committee, you need to add a committee that will address the issue of
library funding.

I know our local Federation has an Endowment chairman who meets with
individuals who want to set up charitable giving endowment funds that
may fund a specific issue.  In Atlanta, all the day schools are
constituent agencies.  Having library funding of the schools or a
specific school should be one of the suggestions that the Endowment
chairman could offer if the schools and AJL advocated for it.

Yeshiva Atlanta received a rather large gift from someone's estate
(Kurt Homburger, of blessed memory).  He did not have any children
but his nephew and other family members were very pleased that the
library was dedicated in his memory and the school had a special
dedication breakfast.  However, none of the money was allocated to
the library. The 30 hour library position was cut down to 6
hours.  The Jewish educator who is the current librarian is spending
his time organizing the Beit Midrash.  No books are being catalogued
any longer.   Libraries very often become naming opportunities. But
the money has to stay with the library and be used for more than
beautiful furniture.  Public relations about the importance of
libraries is necessary but it has to also address the money issue at
the same time.

Evi Reznick
Instructor of Technology
Temima High School