The Holocaust As Reflected in Responsa Literature

Computerized Torah Holocaust Database
Created by
The Netivei Halakha Institute
Alon Shvut, Gush Etzion
Israel

The Project: Subject-matter, Goal, and Rationale

A number of  years ago, the Netivei Halakha Institute took upon
itself the momentous task of  creating a computerized Torah database,
to include all the halakhic responsa that deal with the terrors of
the Holocaust. This information is scattered in a great many books of
responsa which are hard to find, and are virtually unavailable to
most students and scholars.

The Netivei Halakha Institute has been involved in the creation of
computerized Torah databases for a decade, in the context of the
Bar-Ilan University Responsa Project. The Institute's research
scholars compile the entry-index concerning the halakhic topics
discussed in the responsa literature of the modern authorities, as
found on the Responsa Project CD-ROM. In the course of this research
project, produced by Bar-Ilan University since 1999, the Institute's
team of scholars acquired the Torah knowledge and technical expertise
necessary for the development of the Holocaust Responsa  CD-ROM.

In order to obtain preliminary appraisals of the project, we produced
a sample CD-ROM of Holocaust Responsa. The CD-ROM was shown to
experts in the field of Holocaust research and education, hailing
from the worlds of Torah and academic scholarship, such as Professor
Dan Michman and Rebbetzin Esther Farbstein, who highly praised the
project. The sample CD-ROM was also applauded by experts at Yad
Vashem to whom it was shown.

We are very grateful  to the Claims Conference for its valuable
support of the project during  these years. Thanks to this
assistance, we have issued the first edition of the CD-ROM, in March
2006. The Conference's sponsorship of the project is duly noted on
the CD-ROM package.

The Responsa literature enables us learn about life during the
Holocaust from a unique vantage-point, which combines live testimony
about rabbis and laymen who experienced the tribulations of the
Holocaust, with an axiological and ethical perspective. This
literature is also authentic testimony against the claims of those
who deny the Holocaust.
The CD-ROM is designed primarily to serve a two-fold purpose:
1.      As a research tool for halakhic scholars, who wish to study
the unique decision-making which was occasioned by the Holocaust, and
2.      To address the needs of the academic world, which will use
the database to clarify the dilemmas of daily life in the Holocaust,
as well as the problems of rehabilitation faced by Jewry in its wake.

Additionally, the CD-ROM will serve as a valuable resource in the
field of education, both formal and informal. This unique endeavor is
also, in a larger sense, an active and permanent memorial for those
of our people who perished in the Holocaust. This monument will be of
a continuous nature, accessed daily by a wide range of users.

We now know that there is still a vast amount of important material
not yet included in the database. We are already compiling many
additional sources which we will incorporate in the second version of
the Holocaust Responsa CD. We feel it is our obligation to continue
the work of searching and collating, for the sake of future
generations. It is highly doubtful if decades hence, it will be
possible to locate all the material which we are now targeting.

Project Description
The Holocaust Responsa CD-ROM #1 contains a collection of hundreds of
responsa, compiled from 115 responsa volumes and periodicals,
collected by Institute researchers. The responsa were typed, and some
were edited in order to remove errors occurring in the originals,
based on textual analysis.
The responsa themselves are hyper-linked to an index according to
heading, subheading, and subject, as well as to the precise reference
in the Shulkhan Arukh. By surveying the listing of headings and
subheadings, the student may arrive at all the halakhic issues dealt
with in the course of the Holocaust and its aftermath, as well as the
responsa themselves.
In addition, the student will find biographical data about the
various halakhic authorities, and descriptive details of the places
mentioned in the responsa. The biographies and geographic
descriptions appear in both Hebrew and in English.
Searching the database can be done in three ways:
1.      According to the heading index,
2.      By random words in the responsa texts or in the heading index,
3.      By place-name or date of the event discussed in the responsum.

The data retrieval system on the CD-ROM is based on the well-known
software of the Bar-Ilan University Responsa Project.

For more information, pricing and orders please contact:

Rabbi Yitzchak Guttman
The Netivei Halakha Institute
Alon Shvut, Gush Etzion
90433, Israel