First, can I do a bit of bibliographic verification here?
I frequently see the publisher of this text given as Gale in the
messages on this list.  However, when I
followed the link to Amazon, the publisher is given as
Macmillan.  The Macmillan edition on Amazon
is three volumes and has a publication date of 2007 (ISBN 978-0028660202).
But searching Google by title I found the same item on Gale's site,
but again with the Macmillan imprint
but with 2008 publication date.  I just want to make sure that we're
talking about the same edition and
suggest that identify the publisher as Macmillan (or at least
Gale/Macmillan)  to be consistent with the
information others will see.

Second, I've added my review of the Zionism article to the Amazon site.

Third, has anyone found anything about John Hartwell Moore, the
editor?  I'm on vacation so I don't have access
to my academic sources, but he doesn't show up anywhere in Google
except in connection with this edition.
The article's author, Noel Ignatiev, however, is a nut-job with a
long history of beyond-marginal racial issues. He runs a Web site
called RaceTraitor.com with the theme that all racial identity is
wrong.  He was fired,
according to Wikipedia, from a position as a tutor at Harvard for
opposing the installation of kosher toasters
in a dining hall.  He has published academic works on the issue of
race but it looks like it's been a while
and I don't see anything in the mainstream press on Israel or Zionism.
This seems to be an increasingly popular tactic on the anti-Israel
front.  Find a genuine PhD with no credentials
or marginal credentials in any of the related areas to write a
pseudo-academic article superficially about Zionism.
Since they don't know anything about Zionism, they skate over the
facts, or make them up off the top of their
heads, whatever suits their larger theme.  Terms like "post-Zionism"
meaning that the concept is obsolete are
showing up more and more.  The "racist" tag is an older and
once-discredited ploy that's making a comeback
in a number of creative ways.
"Proving" that Zionism, the foundational ideology behind the creation
of the modern State of Israel, is flawed is
part of a strategy to attack Israel.  (Similar to those who claim
there was no Holocaust, or that it was exaggerated,
or was a ploy to bolster the Zionist movement, if you can undermine
the founding drive to create a Jewish state,
that there was no legitimate motivation,  it's easier to criticize
Israel.)   It is important to ignore qualified scholars
in the field because a hack will do the kind of half-assed hatchet
job you need, overlooking the evidence that
might undermine his position and highlighting the most skewed and
prejudicial evidence available.
We had a "conference" on post-Zionism at UCSC where the panel
included a couple of reputable scholars, such
as Judith Butler, but was mainly filled out by C-list
academics.  None of the panelists had any scholarly publications
on Zionism to their credit.  But all the panelists had taken active
roles opposing Israel in their personal lives.  That's
what it takes to get on a dais or published in an encyclopedia these
days, just a willingness to trash Israel without any
qualifications or attention to scholarly standards.  The convener was
an anthropologist who does not teach, conduct
research or write on the topic, not a political scientist or
historian or Middle East scholar, and she refused any
suggestions  for speakers qualified to speak on the
topic.  Ironically, Butler choose to speak on Hannah Arendt as
an example of opposition to Israel, however admitting that she hadn't
read the _Jewish Writings_ while the editor
of that edition sat in the audience.
I read an exchange between Norman Finkelstein and one of his
reviewers.  The reviewer had trashed _Beyond
Chutzpah_ saying F. had failed to do scholarly research.  F.
responded in the letters column that he'd combed
through thousands of documents as part of his research.  In the same
issue, the reviewer responded to F. saying,
"Yes, but you brought forward only the evidence that supported your
thesis and ignored the rest, and that's
not scholarship."
I spoke to  a local scholar -- a real, dyed-in-the-wool scholar --
about this situation, and he said the thought
American academia had come to model itself on the U.S. judicial
system where opposing attorneys spend all
their efforts trying to suppress the evidence that would hurt their
case.  Academics today seem to focus completely
on establishing their thesis by selectively choosing which evidence
to include and ignoring the rest.  Had the
anthropologist who convened the UCSC "post-Zionism" event conducted
her research with the same focus
on personal prejudice over scholarly integrity as she brought to
assembling a panel of speakers, she could have
been accused of academic fraud.  There are some fields where
"cherry-picking" evidence is not acceptable,
but I fear that the social sciences, where most of the academic
treatment of the Middle East takes place and
where there is so much unexamined prejudice against Israel, has
already crossed over to the dark side.
-- Lee Jaffe, UC Santa Cruz

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]