From: Adas Israel Librarian
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:01 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [ha-Safran]: What worries me

Yaffa,

This is by now not new, but thank you for sending it in, regardless of
any "non-political" stance we supposedly have. Some things, whether or
not they are "political," are issues for librarians, nonetheless. In
fact, if we are doing our jobs right, and are aware of the world around
us, a lot of so-called political items should be, must be, in our work
and professional worlds.

Book-banning and librarian firing are librarian and librarian
organization issues, although they are by definition political. They are
_not_ issues we can ever be "neutral" about.

Madeleine
Madeleine Cohen Oakley
Director of Library Services
Adas Israel Congregation
Washington, DC

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]