Hey all! Everybody have a good summer?

The Bands Visit, super touching story about a small Egyptian marching
band lost in a small Israeli town.

This movie is great! I saw the subtitled version here in Valencia
(absolutely everything is dubbed in Spain but for some reason this
wasn't). They don't march much, mostly they just sit and play. The
whole story hinges on a pronunciation mistake made by the youngest
member of the band. In arabic there's no distinction between the P
and B; they sound exactly the same. At the bus station the youngest
member is sent off to buy the bus tickets to Petah Tikvah but instead
he says Bet Hatikvah and the whole band ends up in the middle of
nowhere in this totally dead town  where the only form of
entertainment is to stand in front of the one and only public phone
in town waiting for your girlfriend to call. From what a reliable
source told me, the movie didn't win the Oscar for best movie in a
foreign language because it's almost entirely in English a fact which
makes the movie all that more ironic.

Besos de Valencia
Alba Toscano
Sinagoga conservador/masorti La Jauvra
Valencia (Spain)
http://www.uscj.org/world/valencia

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]