Shalom, friends,
Recently, I was co-opted to re-vise/re-new/re-establish our synagogue
library. The first order of business has been to sort through and evaluate
all the boxes of donations which, like orphans, have been left in our
doorstep.  Now, we can actually see the shelves of books.

Previously, the library was organized by volunteers by the Wiene scheme
[roughly, I grant]. An Author card, a Title card, and a Book Card had been
typed for each item in the collection. We devised a Shabbat check out system
which did not require writing; and I'll be happy to share that with any
who'd like.

My choice of course, would be to automate the library, but I doubt that the
expense can be justified at this time. [I can dream.] My question now is :

   -  what software systems are available that would allow us to READ and
COPY records which would include Author, Title, and basic Subject Headings,
and PRODUCE CARDS and large print SPINE LABELS. I'm familiar with MARCIVE,
but that service is much too costly for this instance.

Thanks for any guidance you'll offer.

And may we each and all be blessed with a New Year of health and hope.

Johanna Bromberg
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]