Amalia,

It's a cute book - a little kitchy and quite funny, by the author of
'A Series of Unfortunate Events.' The book looks like a Christmas
book, and plays off of the common misconception that Chanukah is
simply the Jewish Christmas -- and does a fine job of dispelling that
notion. All of the essentials of the holiday, The miracle of the oil,
the macabees, the Jews not being allowed to practice judaism are
discussed -- as well as some cultural components of the holiday. i.e.
the latke discusses with a x-mas tree how presents are not an
essential part of the Channukah, (though "there's nothing wrong with
giving gifts to loved ones").

It was used by our Jewish Studies teachers last year in the elementary
class. We have two copies in our school -- and I think it belongs in
any Jewish library. But the book also has mass-market appeal, so you
can find it in your local barnes and noble if you want to give it a
read before ordering it.

All the best,

Russel Neiss
Librarian - Rodeph Sholom School
New York, NY

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]