The convention is fast approaching and we thought we would share with you
some information we gave earlier about sights and how to reach the
convention hotel.

See you soon,

Shoshanah Seidman
Co-chair AJL 2009 in Chicago

TOURS AND CHICAGO HIGHLIGHTS

Did you know that skyscrapers were invented in Chicago?  We recommend that
the best way to see them, and all of the stunning architecture in downtown
Chicago, is to go by boat up the Chicago River.  We have pre-arranged
architectural boat tours of the city, on Sunday or Wednesday afternoon (see
registration form for times and prices).  And speaking of architecture,
there will be a year-long exhibit at the Art Institute on the master
architect of Chicago, Daniel Burnham.  In addition to our convention, your
itinerary could include the Spertus Institute Museum, which has striking
exhibits, the new Illinois Holocaust Museum, the Museum of Science and
Industry, the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium, the Adler Planetarium, and
beautiful Michigan Avenue.  There are "EL" tours, walking tours, jazz and
comedy clubs, Frank Lloyd Wright home tours and Second City.  The hotel is
right near Millenium Park's Pritzker Pavilion where the Grant Park Orchestra
plays for free almost every night.  Fireworks can be seen off of Navy Pier,
and Taste of Chicago ends on July 5, the first day of our convention.

Jewish Chicago: On Sunday afternoon, July 5, we will offer a Chicago Jewish
tradition - "Chicago Jewish Roots," a bus tour of Chicago's Jewish history
led by renowned geographer and historian Dr. Irving Cutler.  See your
registration packet for details.
The 2008 National League Central Division Champion Chicago Cubs will have
HOME games that week, so think about getting your tickets to Wrigley Field
when they go on sale. The 2008 American League Central Division Champion
Chicago White Sox will be playing Cleveland at U.S. Cellular Field on July 7
and 8, and tickets will be available for purchase as well. (NOTE:  The
convention planners are not going to purchase a block of tickets - we
encourage you to make plans on your own.)

GETTING TO CONVENTION

Two convenient airports service Chicago: O'Hare International Airport and
the Chicago Midway Airport.  Each is roughly 30 minutes from the hotel, and
each has easy connections for ground and public transportation.

Shuttle service to downtown hotels is available from both airports.  The
Airport Express Shuttle from O'Hare costs approximately $28.00 one way;
service from Midway costs approximately $23.00.  Discounts are available for
roundtrip tickets and for two or more passengers.  For information, see
www.airportexpress.com.  Taxis are also available.  Expect to pay
approximately $40 from O'Hare and approximately $30 from Midway.

Public transportation is another option.  Take the Blue Line train from
O'Hare (exit at the Clark/Lake station) or the Orange Line train from Midway
(exit at the State/Lake station).  You can then walk or take a cab to the
hotel.  It will be a little over an hour from either airport and costs $2.25
for a rail ticket.  See www.transitchicago.com.

Amtrak (www.amtrak.com), Greyhound (www.greyhound.com), and the Megabus
(www.megabus.com, servicing select Midwest cities) are also options with
stations in downtown Chicago.

Parking, either valet or self-parking is available at the hotel as well.
Updated travel information will be posted on the AJL website convention page
in the spring.

Shoshanah Seidman
Selector Jewish Studies, Northwestern University
Co-chair AJL2009 in Chicago
847-491-7585