Dear Steven,
               This is an interesting case, but I have to disagree
with your idea of what the appropriate disposition of such a book should be.
               Reading through the thin veil as to which book you
were referring to we can begin with the fact that this book was
embargoed before publication. As so, it should not have been
distributed or read without permission prior to the date of
publication. This is a legal issue. After publication, the book
becomes a very interesting and valuable book for librarians,
literary/popular culture scholars and book collectors. Whether or not
the author would approve of this version of the book being read and
known is no barrier to interest. To stand on one side or the other of
the issue is a value judgement I will not make. As there is nothing
libelous or slanderous in the book as far as I know, any "harm" that
the author might perceive is having the book seen is something
authors need to live with. I think it would be a poor idea to destroy
the book or hide it from public view.

Best Regards,
Henry Hollander