Music of the Jewish People Online Course

There's still room and time to sign up! The "Music of the Jewish
People," a full semester, tremendously fun, fully-online course at
the college level is being offered through Hebrew College. As a
librarian and musicologist, I'm teaching this course for HC, and
looking forward to a variety of participants, from college students
and up, from anywhere in the US or abroad. I understand that there is
still time to sign up to get college credits (better hurry and not
forget to sign up after Rosh Hashanah!)

You can also take the course as a "non-credit" course and many people
not needing the course for a degree may choose that route. Either
way, for credit or non-credit, I'm expecting it to be exciting.

*Course Description:*
Have you ever wondered what Jews sang in synagogue in Colonial
America? Or why there are so many tunes at different synagogues
today? Have you ever wanted to know where a Jewish melody came from?
Have you ever had a friend ask you what Jewish music is, and needed
an answer? If so, this course will be for you! It's a general survey
that discovers the musics of the Jewish People at different times and
places. Study will involve learning about the origins of traditional
materials, examination of source readings and articles relating to
music of the Jewish people, and class discussions of topics in Jewish
music in their historical context. We will listen to all sorts of
amazing recordings of Jews singing and performing music from around
the world. Some recordings and sounds might be strange to you, and
others familiarÂ… but all will be excellent Jewish music!

This online course will investigate the role that music has played in
Jewish life and identity from ancient to modern times, including
music at the time of the Bible, rabbinic attitudes toward music, the
development of the modes for scriptural cantillation, Jewish folk and
popular music in the Diaspora, Jewish art music in the modern era,
and Jewish music in modern America and Israel.

Since this is an online course, you must have the ability to view,
read and listen to print, audio and video materials throughout the
week via the Internet. Postings to the Discussion Board will be
expected. There is no specific "class time" that all students must be
online at the same time; however, I offer availability at specific
times for those who prefer that.

You have to register and pay for the course registration through the
Hebrew College.
So register right away....
Anyone interested in taking your course should be directed to the
Registrar (Marilyn Jaye -mj...@hebrewcollege.edu
<mailto:mj...@hebrewcollege.edu> or 617-559-8642). And of course, the
Fall course offerings section on the website is also a good place to
go for information: http://www.hebrewcollege.edu/courses

In addition to the formal course description, let me say that there
will be an emphasis on music that we can actually listen to,... so
more contemporary music will be used! This class is open to anyone,
although college and other students will need to contact Hebrew
College directly about course credits, taking the class for a grade,
and all other administrative details.

*About the Teacher*:
Judith Pinnolis is the RIS Humanities Librarian at the Goldfarb
Library at Brandeis University and current Past President of the
Association of College and Research Libraries, New England Chapter.
Pinnolis is also the national Chair of the Chapters Council of ACRL.

Mrs. Pinnolis holds the M.S. in Library Information Science from
Simmons College; M.M. from The College-Conservatory of Music of the
University of Cincinnati ; and B.A. in Music from Newcomb College of
Tulane University . Her graduate Thesis was: /An Analysis of Selected
Works of the American Composer Miriam Gideon (1906- ) in Light of
Contemporary Jewish Musical Trends/. She also holds a Certificate
from the Columbia University, Uriel Weinreich Program in Yiddish
Language and Literature;

Pinnolis has been active in music librarianship through speaking at
international conferences, professional organizations and writing.
Pinnolis is a contributor to the forthcoming 4th edition of the /A
Basic Music Library: Essential Scores and Sound Recordings/ published
by the American Library Association. Her Jewish music scholarship
extends to journals and encyclopedias including /Encyclopedia
Judaica/ (2006); /Women and Music in America Since 1900: An
Encyclopedia/ (2002); and /Reader's Guide to Judaism/ (2000).