I agree.  The Book Thief is not appropriate for middle school and
definitely not a way to teach about the Holocaust! I consider it for
9th or 10th grade and up; the more mature, the more they will get out
of it! Perhaps this teacher needs to learn how to enhance her Anne
Frank curriculum.  There are many ways for her to supplement the
Diary of Anne Frank to make the curriculum meaningful for all
students.  Have your sister print out some book lists from our
bibliography bank and offer them to the teacher. In addition, she
needs to contact her nearest Holocaust resource center or refer her
online to others. Our local one is excellent and enlightens many
public school teachers with appropriate curriculum choices.  Their
website is:  http://www.wsherc.org

I agree that AJL should absolutely contact Book Links magazine and
set them straight!  As for the Boy in Striped PJs, you can look at it
as a parable for ignorance, however, it's not especially well written
or remarkable!  Sounds like they did no homework for that article!

Toby Harris, Librarian
Temple De Hirsch Sinai
1522 E. Pike Street
Seattle, WA  98122