Dear Friends,

A recurring theme in our newsletters over the years has been the
importance of books which overlap different categories of books and
fields of Jewish Studies.

Midrash Naomi, is just such a book. It is authored and edited by
Avrajam Zigman and published by Yad Ben Zvi, isbn 978-965-217-297-6,
Jerusalem 2009. The book contains the poetry of Naomi Shemer
(1930-2004), an icon of Israeli, Hebrew poetry, literature and song,
with 'nikkud,' and the dates of each poem along with the text of the
author relating the passages to biblical, talmudic, midrashic /
(aggadic), rabbinic and hassidic sources.  The work is accompanied by
the illustration, artwork of Ruth Zarfati. Without belaboring the
matter let me sum up by saying that the book is not only beautiful
and a fitting gift, but a resource for scholars and libraries
interested in Hebrew Literature and Bible, Rabbinics and Jewish
Studies. Cat. # 71980  $33.00

Another work of fusion worthy of much attention is a book entitled,
Dirshuni – Israeli Women Writing Midrash, edited by Nehama Weingarten
– Mintz and Tamar Biala. The work is a collection of midrashic
stories by Israeli women authors on biblical and talmudic passages,
aggada. It is scholarly and enthralling. It is modern Hebrew
Literature and classic Jewish Philosophy. It is ancient Aramaic and
modern Hebrew prose. It is classic Bible study and Jewish Studies and
Judaism and Feminism. It is a window on the Jewish Thought and Hebrew
literature of some 35 of the wisest best educated modern Israeli
women authors. Published by Yediot Hemed and the Jewish Agency, isbn
978-965-482-862-8, Tel Aviv 2009. Do not pass go, do not miss this
book.    Cat. # 71866  $28.00

In the realm of modern Hebrew Literature popular prose and titles
which straddle categories such as Bible or Israeli society and
culture let's note Ram Oren's new work – Me'ha-Tanakh be-Ahavah
('From the Bible with Love,') isbn 978-965-7130-37-7, published by
Keshet. In this work, with the assistance of  Dr Yoel Rapel and Dr.
Pnina Galpaz Feler, the well known and immensely popular author
depicts monumental loves from the Tanakh.  Cat. #71821  $31.00

At the other end of the spectrum is the recent work by Moshe Pelli,
Kerem Hemed .  This is a scholarly work of great importance in terms
of Jewish History as well as Hebrew Language and Literature. It
analyzes this / these early Hebrew language journals. It has
important indices, footnotes, bibliography and not least an important
introduction in English. The book is published by Magnes,
isbn    Cat  71848  $ 34.00

We have just gotten the second volume of the series, 'Encyclopedia of
the Jewish Story, (subtitled, Sippur Okev Sippur), edited by Yoav
Elstein, Avidor Lipsker and Rella Kushelevsky, isbn 978-965-226-358-2
and published by Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 2009.  This is an
important scholarly work of studies in Jewish Literature. It is a
critical, scholarly edition.  (Volume I came out in 2004)  Cat.
#71763 $44.50

Similarly we have seen what turns out to be volume II of Ma'aseh
Sippur, Studies in Jewish Narrative.  It is equally important, edited
by Avidor Lipsker and Kushelevsky and published by Bar Ilan
University isbn 978-965-226-339-1, 2009.   Cat. #71774   $47.00

Lastly, I would like to mention and promote a little, 'popular,' book
published by author, David Ehrlich, entitled, 'Sefer
Ha-Ahavot...'  The book is about the well known, Jerusalem literary
café' Tmol Shilshom owned by, you guessed it, David Ehrlich.  The
book contains 'interviews' with couples who met at Tmol Shilshom and
I must admit a personal interest here, one of those couples is Jeff
Spitzer and Nicky Cregor, my beloved wife. No, this is not a vanity
book and we did not finance it's publication.  It is an example of
21st Cent. CE modern Hebrew lit. and at the same time a window onto
this wonderful place where food, books, poetry and some interesting
varied couples meet.  Cat. # 71370  $10.00

We hope that these short updates on Israeli publishing are
interesting and helpful at least in parts and at times and encourages
all those involved in the important work of collecting, researching,
teaching and studying, books in Hebrew from Israel.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who have
supported us over the past year and years for that matter.

Sincerely,

Jeff Spitzer

Wendy Weiss Simon

Jerusalem Books Ltd.