This story sounds wonderful, and I would love to know its source once
you track it down.  I am only familiar with a humorous version where
Joha leaves a nail in the wall to claim sentimental property rights
in a house so the trickster can continue to visit once the house has
been sold:  Joha's Nail appears in Folktales of Joha by Matilda
Koen-Sarano and as Juha's Nail in Sheldon Oberman's Solomon and the
Ant.  Joha continues to visit, barging in to hang his coat, once even
hanging a dead cat on the nail.

The most famous Lashon hara stories, of course, are the many
variations of feathers loosed into the wind.  There are also several
stories where the weight of uttered words and it opposite, silence,
matter and shape what happens next.

(Thank you for the vote of confidence, Linda.  The Joha version does
appear in The Jewish Story Finder. I wish I knew the story Heather seeks.)
Sharon Elswit