Susan

>Do any of you have ideas of a suitable book... as a Grade 5 Graduation gift?

Oh! Bless me, but I suddenly feel a story coming on:

When I was a kid, precisely at Shavuot time, my little sister gave me
a little song book with 18 jewish holiday songs in it which she had
hoisted from the shoe box where all the songbooks in her
Sunday-school classroom were stored. I don't know if it was the
thrill of her having stolen it just for me (afterall it's the thought
that counts) or having risked capture and disgrace knowing I had
wanted one so much (my classroom teacher was not half so
trusting...), but the booklette was very precious to me. I remember
taking the booklette and my song flute out only when I knew that my
parents were off buying tomatoes and Rice Crispies.

A short while ago Little Sister, now a junior high school librarian
in her own right, while reorganizing the hallway cupboard at my mom's
house, pulled the booklette out during our weekly SKYPE chit-chat. We
sang all the songs, re-told stupid sunday school stories and
commented on whether we should return the booklette or not. Sadly for
our souls, we have it on good authority that no longer do the
teachers, the sunday school nor the synagogue exist so that option
got pretty much trashed.

Anyways. We are always looking for appropriate children's novels with
jewish content, which is nice of course no arguments there, but
rarely do we suggest a bencher or songbook with perhaps a CD. Maybe a
song flute to go along with it (...to drive his/her parents ever so
slightly nuts).  I remember that when I was a kid, "how-to" was very
big. Jewish origami book? How-to Throw Your Own Jewish-theme Party
book? or maybe Keeping Kosher Kamp Kookbook for your favourite
GirlGuide/Boy Scout enthusiast?

Happy Shavuot to one and all
Besos de Valencia
Alba Toscano, presª and all-round Big Kahuna
Sinagoga conservador La Javurá
calle Uruguay 59, pta 13
http://www.uscj.org/world/valencia
http://lajavura.org