The best selling non fiction book in the USA this week is Sh*t My Dad
Says by Justin Halpern

Some people have asked me, "So... are they Jewish?"

So.. to save you the pleasure of reading the book, my answer is that
his father, Sam Halpern, identifies as Jewish.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0061992704/sefersafarianonl

The synopsis is as follows.  Justin grew up in San Diego as the
youngest son of Sam Halpern, a doctor and cancer researcher at
UCSD.  His father was blunt, direct, obscene, frightening, hilarious,
but endearing.  Justin moved back to San Diego and asked to move back
in with his parents.  While he was blogging for maxim magazine and
trying to be a screenwriter, he lived with his mother and retired
father, and began posting one of his father's funny sayings or
comments each day.  50 friends followed the comments, then 500, then
100,000, and now 1.4 million.  There was this book deal, and now a tv
pilot starring William Shatner as a character based on the father.

In the book, you read about Xmas gifts, how Justin's mother grew up
poor in an Italian American Catholic family, how she was orphaned as
a young teen, and how his father grew up in rural Boone County
Kentucky as the son of a sharecropper, who later owned and managed
the tobacco farm on which he worked....  Jewish ?   ummmm...
yes.  His father identifies as Jewish, although Justin was raised
without any speciifc religious practices or heritage, although his
mother did send him to a San Diego Jewish class for the children of
mixed-religion families.  Justin lasted 3 sessions.  Hehe.  Also,
when selecting a doctor, Justin's father (page 106) does instruct his
son to pick a doctor with a Jewish sounding last name.  When Justin
says that he is racist for saying that, Sam replies. well.. I can't
repeat the choice words he uses, but suffice it to say that he likes
Jewish doctors and reminds his son that he is a Jewish doctor

Larry
MyJewishBooks.com