Hi everybody,

By now you've heard on Hasafran and on AJL's blog about Library
Snapshot Day, a fun way to bring positive attention to all our
libraries. I'm already planning my own Library Snapshot Day and I
wanted to tell you about it. I hope it will inspire you to plan
something too, because the whole thing only works if we get
participation from lots of people! The point of the project is to
generate big, impressive numbers about how much use Jewish libraries
are getting as a group, and then to use that info for advocacy. I
hope lots of AJL members will do it, because every participant will
make a difference.

So feel free to steal my ideas for how to celebrate Library Snapshot
Day, or come up with something completely different!

I'm planning to:

·         Take pictures of people in the library all day. I'll offer
them props to make the pictures more fun, including puppets, funny
hats, giant books, and one of those funny standup cardboard pictures
you stick your face through (from the Upstart catalog). I might put
the pictures onto a private Flickr group and give them the password,
so they can access their pictures. I will certainly send the pictures
to AJL when I'm done!

·         Give away library related tchotchkes to all visitors, and
offer special patriotic themed tchotchkes to anyone who comes in
wearing an "I voted" sticker (I'm doing this on November 2 which is
also election day). I'll get stuff from Upstart or Oriental Trading
Company for this.

·         I'm going to order Upstart's name badge stickers that say
"HELLO, my favorite book/author/character is" or "HELLO, I like to
read about" and invite people to fill in the blanks and wear them. I
think they'll be good conversation starters.

·         Serve refreshments, of course.

·         Ask visitors to say something about the library, either by
writing on paper, or by letting me audio record (or video record) them.

·         I am planning to create some kind of online guest book so
that people who can't make it to the library that day can still leave
the comments. I'm thinking of using Voicethread.com for this, which
allows commenters to type or use a microphone or webcam or phone to
leave their comments.

·         I'm going to set up the game Lightning Librarian on my
computers and invite people to play it. It's a free online game at
http://resources.kaboose.com/games/lightning-librarian.html.

·         I'm going to invite the local Jewish Journal to come take
pictures too on that date, and to do an article. I think the
national/local combination of the event will appeal to them.

When I told the senior staff about Library Snapshot Day they were
very enthusiastic. The rabbi asked me to have his secretary schedule
him to come into the library that day so he won't forget, and the
religious school principal scheduled classes to come in and have
their pictures taken. So it's already having a positive effect within
my own organization and it hasn't even happened yet!

If you're considering doing Library Snapshot Day, please let
everybody know. The more we can help each other plan, the better!

Heidi Estrin

Feldman Children's Library at Congregation B'nai Israel of Boca Raton, FL

he...@cbiboca.org