Belfast's award-winning Kabosh Theatre Company transposes its
remarkable site-specific production of "This Is What They Sang" to
New York as part of the 1st Irish Festival, New York's only all-Irish
theatre festival.  Directed by Paula McFetridge, and written by Gavin
Kostick, "This Is What We Sang" runs from September 19 to September
29 at the Synagogue for the Arts, 49 White Street, in
Tribeca.  Featuring a cast of five, "This Is What We Sang" tells a
story linking five generations of a Jewish family from Belfast.  Set
on Yom Kippur, the play was originally performed at the Belfast
Synagogue, where it premiered in September of last year, around the
time of the Yom Kippur holiday.  The play's New York premiere also
coincides with the holiday.

In "This Is What We Sang," a story of love and atonement, five family
members from across the globe, and across the centuries, seek
absolution for their past.  As they relate the tale of their lives,
their secrets and sins, they tell the story of Belfast, the city they
made home.

Belfast's Jewish community, which dates back to the 1850's when a
first small wave of Jews from Germany began to settle there. At its
peak in 1964, when the Belfast Synagogue on Somerton Road opened its
doors, the community numbered over 1600 in 1964. It now numbers under 100.

Kabosh commissions playwrights to respond to local histories, stories
and heritage, for performance in complimentary locations.  While in
New York, and also as part of 1st Irish, Kabosh hosts a special panel
discussion at The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts on
Tuesday September 28 at 6pm.

"This Is What We Sang" plays 9 times at Synagogue for the Arts, 49
White Street, from September 19 through September 29, on the
following dates: Sunday to Tuesday September 19, 20, 21 at 8pm;
Saturday September 25 at 8pm; Sunday September 26 at 3pm & 8pm;
Monday & Tuesday September 27 & 28 at 8pm, and Wednesday September 29
at 3pm.  Tickets, which are $30 ($20 for students) are available via
SmartTix, by phone at (212) 868-4444, or online at
www.smarttix.com.  For more information visit www.1stirish.org