FYI: ALA/ASCLA virtual Convergence online webinar series January
18th, 2011-January 21, 2011 [Professional Development & Continuing Education]

Professional development remains an important part of a successful
library career, but we here at the Association of Specialized and
Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA) recognize that traveling to
conferences and other events can be expensive.

To help you get the best value for your educational dollar, we've
created an online webinar series­the ASCLAVirtual Convergence
[http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/ascla/asclaevents/virtualconvergence/virtualconverg.cfm]­which

will be held Tuesday, Jan. 18 through Friday, Jan. 21. Participation
in the Convergence is open to all interested learners, and we'd like
to invite you to join us for a webinar or two.

Here are just a few of the reasons you should participate in this
learning opportunity:
Something for everyone. Webinar topics for the Convergence are
relevant all types of libraries and librarians. We'll cover topics
ranging from the dimensions of and solutions for library
accessibility in "Library and Information Access for
Differently-Abled Patrons", and also provide an overview of
independent library work in "Contract Librarianship: Concepts and Strategies".

No travel costs. You can attend these webinars from the convenience
of your work or home computer, and only pay for the learning
experience: $40 per webinar for ASCLA and FAFLRT members ; $50 per
webinar for ALA members and $45 for Student and Retired members.

More bang for your buck. ALA and ASCLA members who register for two
or more webinars can save up to $5 per session on their registration
rates! Recommended session pairings include:
"Attracting Latinos to the Library" and "Managing Library Adult and
Family Literacy Programs"
"Careers in Federal Libraries", "How to Find a Federal Job" and
"Resume Writing and Interviewing Techniques"
"Saks Fifth Avenue Service on a Dollar General Budget" and "Using
Learning Objects to Enhance Distance Reference Services"
"Starting a New Library for At-Risk Young Adults in a Digitally
Divided Community", "Teaching Ophelia: Assisting At-Risk Teenagers"
and "Why Reinvent the Wheel? Tools for Serving the Fast-Growing Teen
Population"
"Accessibility 101: Assure that Your Library is Welcoming and Usable
for Persons with Disabilities", "The Disability Experience in a
Post-2.0 World" and "Presenting Topics to People Who are Autistic,
Deaf, Disabled and Non-Disabled"

Access to information. Attend a Convergence webinar such as "A
Copyright Policy Update on Access to Information for Persons with
Print Disabilities" and you'll learn about important developments in
the field that you can apply to your job immediately. Convergence
webinars also offer more general topics such as "Grant Writing 101",
where you will learn how to research funding opportunities and get
tips about the grant application process.

You can download the complete list of webinars­titles, descriptions
and scheduled times­here:
[http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/ascla/asclaevents/virtualconvergence/virtualconverg.cfm]

To register, go to the registration page
[http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=olweb&Template=/Conference/ConferenceList.cfm&ConferenceTypeCode=X].

Scroll down to Virtual Convergence and click on "Register"
[http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=olweb&template=/security/login.cfm]
to the right--you'll be prompted for your ALA login. You can also
download the registration form
[http://ascla.ala.org/media/2011asclavcregmailfax.pdf] to sign up by
fax or mail. Contact Membership and Customer Service with any
questions at registrat...@ala.org or 1-800-545-2433, option 5.

We are offering group registration prices, too! Contact
registrat...@ala.org for more information.

I hope you'll invest in yourself and your professional success, and
join us for one or more of these exciting sessions!

Sincerely,
Diana Reese
ASCLA President

PS­We're also offering the following sessions: "Knowledge Management:
Process and Tools for Convergence", "Public Computer Conundrums:
Policy and Program Choices that Improve Patron Outcomes", "How to
Build a Bridge: Connecting Different Types of Libraries", "Extending
Our Reach: Using Extension Programs to Promote Statewide Resources"
and "Conducting Successful Virtual Meetings". Download the full
schedule, including dates, times and
descriptions.[http://ascla.ala.org/media/2011asclavcschedule.pdf]

Our mailing address is:
ASCLA and RUSA, divisions of the American Library Association
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611

Copyright (C) 2010 ASCLA and RUSA, divisions of the American Library
Association All rights reserved.

Stephanie (Sara Leah) Gross, MSLIS
Chair, AJL Mentoring Committee
Pollack Library