Here is the next installment in my series of explanations of AJL's
online resources. Today I want to talk about the Jewish Book
Carnival, which is a "blog carnival."

What is a Blog Carnival?

A blog carnival is sort online community event. The community is a
group of bloggers who all cover a similar topic on their blogs. The
event is a day when all of the bloggers contribute links and make one
big blog post out of them.  It's called a carnival because it's a
celebration of the topic being covered (in our case, Jewish books)!

The point of doing this is that it builds community among bloggers
with a shared interest, it educates everyone who reads the blog
posts, and it builds traffic to all the blogs by allowing them to
share their audiences with each other.

What is the Jewish Book Carnival?

In 2010 I (Heidi Estrin) attended the Book Bloggers Convention in
NYC. An idea I brought home with me was that of creating a blog
carnival for the various blogs that deal with Jewish literature and
library issues.

AJL's consultant Marie Cloutier helped get the ball rolling. She
recruited participants like the Jewish Book Council, the Jewish
Women's Archive, J Weekly and various Jewish newspaper blogs, other
blogs by individuals who just enjoy reviewing Jewish books, and more.

AJL is the hosting organization for the Jewish Book Carnival, and you
can find the "headquarters" on our blog
athttp://jewishlibraries.org/blog/?page_id=371. At that location, you
will also find a list of participating bloggers.

How does the Jewish Book Carnival work?

Each month, one of the participants is the carnival "host." The other
participants send the host a link to one of their own blog posts,
something about Jewish literature, literacy, libraries, etc.

On the 15th of each month, the host creates a post on their own blog
which lists all the links everybody has sent in. The participants can
also post something on their own blogs to draw attention to the blog carnival.

Readers like you can follow the various links to find a smorgasbord
of articles on a topic we all love: Jewish books! You can also help
with the community-building aspect and make the bloggers feel good by
leaving them comments on their blogs.

Where can you see an example of the Jewish Book Carnival?

Follow this link to see the carnival that was posted on January 15,
2011. That month, the carnival was hosted at AJL's  own blog, People
of the Books at http://jewishlibraries.org/blog/?p=741.

Where can you find the next Jewish Book Carnival?

No matter where the carnival is being hosted, we will always put a
link on AJL's blog, People of the Books
(http://jewishlibraries.org/blog), so that you can find the monthly
Jewish Book Carnival.

To see a list of upcoming hosts, look at the headquarters I mentioned
earlier at http://jewishlibraries.org/blog/?page_id=371. As of this
writing, we have hosts through April 2011 but we need hosts for May
and beyond. If you have a Jewish oriented blog and you would like to
host, please email me and let me know at he...@cbiboca.org!

GoodReads:

The Jewish Book Carnival also has a GoodReads group at
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/34560.Jewish_Book_Carnival.
GoodReads is an online community for book lovers. Using GoodReads
gives our carnival participants a way to easily communicate and have
discussions about books they are enjoying. Even if you are not a
blogger, you are welcome to join the GoodReads group.