Sylvia Firschein was a wonderful mentor. She was responsible for
organizing the New Jersey Chapter of AJL many years ago. Sylvia
always had something positive to say, worked diligently for AJL and
kept in touch with the New Jersey contingent.

Dot Ehrich was another New Jersey AJL stalwart. I saw Dot just a few
weeks ago  at a Hadassah Education Day. Though ill, her attitude was
so positive and sunny just as it had always been.

These two women exemplify AJL at the grassroots level. Sylvia was a
trained librarian, working in a public school for many years but
still stayed involved with the local AJL chapter until she retired to
Florida.  Dot was a self taught volunteer who made a difference in
the lives of many of us from New Jersey who were enriched by her
sharing of her expertise, her  kindness and her generosity.

As a former president of the New Jersey chapter of AJL, I will miss
them greatly. When I was a fledgling, volunteer librarian, I
benefited  from their knowledge and expertise as they helped me grow
my library,  professionalize it and start  on a career path.

Aileen Grossberg
Chair, Sydney Taylor Manuscript Award
Lampert Library
Congregation Shomrei Emunah