Hello all,

At the midwinter meeting of 2011, a new AJL task force was formed to
assess the possibilities for creating an education program for
Judaica librarians (both SSC and RAS).  We assessed the following:

1) Basic pre-requisite skills necessary for the field
2) Suggested curriculum for a program in Judaica Librarianship
3) Potential faculty
4) Potential schools through which we could give accredited courses
5) Costs

We are now actively pursing potential courses (and faculty to teach
them), as well as institutions through which we will be able to offer
credits for these courses.  We will be looking into online platforms
for the courses, so that we can allow the most access to the people
who need them.  Our goal is to have the first course(s) ready for the
2014-15 school year.

Another important aspect that we are trying to address is outreach
and support to newcomers (and not-so-newcomers) to the field.

Please feel free to be in touch with me with questions, suggestions,
or other information.

Thanks!
Michelle Chesner
RAS Secretary