From: Rachel Fischer <rkfisc...@att.net>
To: Rachel Fischer <rkfisc...@att.net>
Cc: hasafran@lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:55 AM
Subject: Re: [ha-Safran] RDA and the Bible

Some people seem to be confused and misunderstand my question, but I have
already had the right answer so I do not need to post this, but in case I do
need to further explain the answer I will. I was meaning to refer to the
context of any public or academic library cataloging the RDA example that just
is for the book of Genesis or the book of Gospels as individually bound items.
RDA is confusing and disorganized and does not make sense, so if I FRBRize it,
it one example that RDA is thinking (in their own Christian minds) when they
make their statements could look like this:
Work- The Bible
E1- The Old Testament
E2- The New Testament
M1- A publication of separately bound books of the bible- in a series
I1-Genesis
I2- Exodus
etc.
I6- Matthew
etc.
In this case it would still say on the title page Old Testament (or Hebrew
Bible) and New Testament. I would still feel comfortable saying you should
still designate something separate for the book of Genesis so it is considered
a separate Work in the bib. record even if the local practice is Old Testament,
to educate the public that it is a different historical work from the book of
Matthew as a New Testament, in the case that New Testament is on the title
page. If a book of Genesis is separately published within a series and has some
designation, either Hebrew bible or Old Testament, it would be wrong to not
write it out as it appears on the title page, when RDA has been stating to not
include it. If it is not written out then the record is not displaying the
proper data. But we can obviously make the choice as we wish, not to cary this
on any further, but to clarify the example that I am thinking of...
Rachel