From: Marga Hirsch [mailto:mhir...@pasyn.org]
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2012 2:58 PM
To: Jane Pasternak; Amy Turim & Larry Hershman;
hasaf...@lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Cc: Susan Lentini
Subject: RE: [ha-Safran] I'm confused about PJ Library

Jane's post touches on an issue that I have begun to be concerned about,
namely, the developing glut of gently used PJ Library books. Park Avenue
Synagogue families with children aged 6 months to 8 years may all sign up for
PJ Library thanks to the generosity of a synagogue family. The first child in
the family receives his/her monthly age-appropriate books, and then the
subsequent children in the family receive copies of the same books. When the
children outgrow the books, many families bring them to the library. I have
lost count of the number of copies of The Shabbat Box I have received. Other
titles are accumulating close behind.

I have been thinking for a while that it would be a good idea for us as a
community of librarians to develop a plan and purpose for all these books. Send
them to libraries in communities that don't have PJ Library? To libraries in
Israel that want children's books in English? Ideas, anyone?

Note: I'm interested in there being an answer to this question, but I don't
have time to take on a book redistribution project myself.

Marga

Marga Hirsch

Librarian & Publications Editor

Park Avenue Synagogue