From: hasafran-boun...@lists.service.ohio-state.edu
[mailto:hasafran-boun...@lists.service.ohio-state.edu] On Behalf Of Maria
Markovic
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:57 AM
To: helen.chronis...@gmail.com; hasafran@lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: [ha-Safran] using books in art (2)

Hi Helen:

Thank you for the two sites. I collect them all. BTW, if you click on images on
my Pinterest site, they link you to the originating site itself.

Unfortunately, books are treated not as a complex art object by itself
(content, binding, font, illustration, material its printed on, format, etc.).
In most instances, the books or magazines are used only for their physical
qualities - perhaps with exception of artists like Sue Blackwell re-creating
the scene from the Alice in Wonderland, or, Ragnhildur Jóhanns creating poetry
of his own out of cut-out words. Even Nicholas Jones and Brian Dettmer are
relating to the content of the books they create their art from.

Any other art or craft objects are using books as a mundane building material
(Dalhousie University students built a hut from unused telephone books, Liu Wei
built skyscrapers sculpture from old schoolbooks...). Madrid-based Alicia
Martin shows our attitude toward printed culture represented by books - among
others - by pouring them out the windows onto the streets. Is it an image of
information overflow? Disrespect for paper-based culture being surrounded by
digital-based one?

Other media are recycled or, upcycled, too. Have a look at the boards Crafts
(http://pinterest.com/terimm53/crafts/), Crafts - Textile, Jewelry and beading,
Mixed media or, Wood and steel art. Here are just a few: CDs, chips,
construction waste material, pencils, old Lego blocks, plastic shopping bags,
drift wood, plastic bottles, bottle caps, toys, clothes, are items that are
used and re-used again.

As a librarian I had to "downsize" the collections myself. Many of the items
ended on the landfill. If just a few end up as a new art form, it's for the
better. Concluding, the issue is complex. The louder the issue is voiced the
better. I think we are replacing a media that lasted for centuries for a media
that is still extremely fragile. But this is a point for another discussion.

Best wishes and happy HHs, Terezia Matus