From: "Steven M. Bergson" <safran-...@yahoo.com>
To: hasafran@lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:41:34 PM
Subject: [ha-Safran] Worldcat Lists

One of the features I've appreciated at both Amazon and Goodreads (probably
elsewhere as well) is the ability for anyone (including librarians) to compile
their own themed-&-searchable bibliographies and publish them online.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=017986067167581999535:4-ekn3oenek

http://www.goodreads.com/list

At Amazon, clicking on the link of any book in the bibliography takes you to
the page where you can purchase the book. At Goodreads, clicking on the book's
link takes you to Goodread's page for the book, showing all of the members'
book reviews for it.

Yesterday, I found out that Worldcat also has a list creation section. When you
click on the book's hyperlink there, it shows you which OCLC libraries have
holdings of that book.

Lists may be searched at
https://www.worldcat.org/webservices/root/search/lists?listquery= and there are
already lists for Jewish, Israel, and Holocaust books. There's even a Sydney
Taylor Book Awards list at
https://www.worldcat.org/profiles/ccicchetti/lists/3070440 listing 34 books
published between 1969 and 2007. A complete SBTA list would be more helpful
(especially since the 2012 winners were just announced yesterday), but there's
no reason why one of us can't just build our own SBTA list there (as well as
lists of other types of Judaica books).

While AJL's bibliography bank is an excellent and better-organized resource, I
think these 3 websites have the potential to supplement our "bank" by pointing
us to additional works.

B'shalom,

Steven M. Bergson
Toronto, Canada